Monday, January 25, 2010

The Franks Cooking History

Every year I seem to go through a phase of wanting "to learn to cook." It's not that I can't cook at all. I just don't know how to cook that much (looking back at my old recipe box, 4H was highly centered around baking for me and once when I was single I was invited to a recipe party and assigned a soup. I probably still wouldn't know how to make a soup if it wasn't for that.) and what I do know how to cook never seems to appeal to my husband. Maybe it is the whole becoming a mother thing...I feel like I need to be able to feed Graham something besides frozen chicken fingers which is exactly what my husband informed me his preferred meal is after I had spent at least an hour and a half at the grocery store tonight. ::SIGH:: Also, we remodeled our kitchen recently so for months eating out and take out were pretty much our only options. Plus being pregnant didn't really put me in the homemaker spirit. So now we have as much cereal in our pantry as Jerry Seinfeld and are burnt out on any restaurant within a 5 mile radius.

Brian and I did take a healthy cooking class at church when we were dating/engaged. I did pick up at least one recipe there that we still make. Still, it was something fun we did together and we got to try the recipes to see if we even liked them before spending all the money on the ingredients. They were also EASY for the most part. Unfortunately, the teacher moved (We miss you, Suzanne!) and they no longer do the class. Then grad school hit and my infatuation with cereal began.

Last year I was in search of the perfect "one dish" recipe that was also suitable for company. I think the grad school light at the end of the tunnel gave me hopes of entertaining. (ha ha) I failed miserably. After trying at least 4 things that never went over well, I gave up. It just wasn't worth it. It costs too much to buy all the ingredients for something that turns out to not be very good. Over the summer I discovered Ashley Mac's frozen casseroles. (You must check it out if you have not already. I also highly recommend the strawberry cake! http://www.ashleymacs.com/) Her one dishes beat mine any day. At least putting something in the oven makes me feel like I am cooking. =)

So now you are pretty much caught up on our cooking history. Now my quest is of quick, easy, healthy dinners that can be prepared through the week by a working mother. Perhaps this is just what is keeping me occupied while I wait on the baby to arrive and pretty soon frozen chicken fingers it will be!

I did try Brian's Grandmother's chicken spaghetti recipe recently(on a weekend). Brian had raved over it and I wanted to try to find something he liked. I did have success (shock and awe) but I will say if it is a Grandmother's recipe and the first ingredient is a "hen" (I used chicken breasts.), then it is not for a working mom on a weeknight. I am so glad to have her recipe though and will use it on special occasions. (Thanks Aunt Kathy!) We've also become food network watchers. We have a couple of Rachel Ray recipes that we have printed to try, but I must ask why her 30minute recipes all have an ingredient list a mile long. It will take me 30 minutes just to round up all those ingredients! Also, some are too exotic for even a Publix to stock. All this to say if you have a recipe that meets the three criteria above (quick, easy, healthy),please send it my way. OR I will take tips from cereal eating parents on what they feed their kids. =)

The only recent success I have had was the recipe below that a friend told me about. Enjoy!

1 6oz package of long grain and wild rice mix
8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 16oz can of whole berry cranberry sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon margarine

Prepare rice according to package directions. Spoon cooked rice into a lightly greased 9" x 13" baking dish. Arrange uncooked chicken breasts over rice. Combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan and heat to a boil. Pour sauce over chicken and rice. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! I would love to cook more, but who has the time! Although, I do recommend the Publix Apron cooking recipes. You can buy one of their binders for like $5.00 and each week they have free new recipes and even sample their meals in the store. I've tasted several and made a couple that turned out great. Even better, sometimes they put all the recipe ingredients in the same area of the store if it's something they are sampling or featuring that week! Good luck in your cooking future :)

    ReplyDelete